Monday, February 7, 2011

Using Up Leftover Beef

I am always trying to find ways to stretch the food budget and so I am always looking for ways to make one more meal out of the leftover bits.


One of the bits I find hardest to use up is those few slices of roast beef after a Sunday dinner.
One of the best ways I have found to use it up is in this Beef Barley Soup.


Beef Barley Soup
 12 cups water
6 Tbsp. beef bouillion
10 oz. can condensed tomato soup
10 oz. water
2 cups diced carrot
1 large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup pearl barley
1 Tbsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp garlic papper
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf

Combine ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.  Add 2 cups cooked, chopped roast beef and simmer for another 1/2 hour.  Enjoy!!


If you like your soup a little thicker you can increase the amount of pearl barley.    I've used up to 1 cup but then it does make for a very thick soup.



And I get not only one extra meal from the leftover bit but quite a few lunches for my family which definately helps the food budget :)

I am joining "The King's Court IV" for What's Cooking Wednesday



And Miz Helen at "Miz Helen's Country Cottage" for Full Plate Thursday


12 comments:

  1. Looks delish! I like to make stew from my leftover pot roast too, though I have never used barley before. I think I may have to try it out now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMM ... that looks so good! Great way to use up the leftover beef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken barley and doubled, sometimes tripled the amounts and changed up beef soups to stews that can be poured over rice for the next day meals, too.

    Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Evans - My family loves the pearl barley in their soup.

    Lisa - Thank you.

    Blondee - That is a great idea. I will keep it in mind.

    ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pearl Barley is a great addition to any soup or stew. I am always looking for ways to use the left overs. Thank you for sharing and hope to see you at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miz Helen - Thank you for stopping by :) ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice way to use leftovers! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your welcome. Thanks for stopping by :) ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so excited to see that you brought your wonderful Beef Barley Soup to our gathering. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious and we love soups!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to have to remember the tomato soup trick, it will give just the right amount of flavor, thanks. Soup looks great, barley, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miz Helen - Thank you. There are so many good recipes to try at Full Plate Thursday.

    Misty - Thanks :)

    Melynda - I love the tomato soup trick. Most soups have too strong of a tomato flavor and the tomato soup gives it just the hint of flavor that we like.

    ~Alana~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading each one so much and will try to get back to each one of you. Have an amazing day!