Sunday, October 27, 2013

Around Our Sunday Table

 
When the kids were young I always tried to make Sunday's special.
This included Sunday dinner with the "good dishes".
Sometimes it included guests and other times it was just our family.
It was a time to sit, relax, enjoy the good food, the good company, and good conversation.
 
 
Now that the kids are grown the Sunday dinner table can range from
just myself, as hubby works shifts, to just the two of us,
or, sometimes three when our son joins us. 
 

 
Of course, I think the best times are when we are all gathered together
once again around the family table,
catching up on news and enjoying one another's company.

 
But I am learning to embrace those times when our table is smaller and quieter.
When it is just hubby and myself it is an enjoyable time
of quiet conversation, often of things we are looking forward to doing.

 
When I am on my own I am often tempted to just load up a plate,
grab a book or watch some TV.
However, I am learning to set a pretty table
and take the time to enjoy the beauty
and reflect on the many things I have to be thankful for.

 
One of the things I am thankful for this week is Skype!
Not only do I get to hear my daughter's voice but I also get to see her face.
What a great conversation we had this week!

 
I am thankful for my wonderful husband.
He noticed how exhausted I have been the past few weeks
and has pitched in and done those few extra things
without me even having to ask.

 
I am also thankful that we are beginning to connect with extended family.
So often we get busy with our lives that we forget it is important to stay in touch.
This week we celebrated my nephew's 18th birthday.
It was great to see the cousins gathered together, creating friendships
and planning future get-togethers.
So many things to be thankful for as we gather around our Sunday table.
 
 
~Finding the amazing in the simple~
Thanks so much for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Alana, reading your post this morning brought tears to my eyes. Your excitement at getting to Skype with your daughter instantly brought back those same feelings of missing our daughter when she left for college...and then when she moved to that area (4 hours away) after graduation to accept a job with the college...and then she married...and then she left for language school...and right on from there to the mission field. That was back in the days when it cost over $1 a minute to hear her voice...and we used MSN's whatever it was to connect on the computer at that time. Our grandson came along and we "played" with him long distance on the computer...who says that you can't play hide and seek, or fireman, long distance. ;-) That little guy is now 15 years old... Our son left for college and took a job afterwards that was 7 hours away...married...moved from the South to the North...and through it all he has always called us, first several times a week, then once a week. He still does...I can count on that without fail. It is the two of us now...has been for close to 20 years now, but I have allowed myself to slip from making Sunday dinner something special. Thank you...first for the memories...and for the reminder that I need to reinstate something that meant a lot to our family at one time. Shift work was the normal at our house at one time...but it is no longer and I need to do something about making that Sunday time special again. Hugs to you, Alana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dianna. Your comments are such an encouragement and blessing to me. I love that despite the distance you have remained close to your children. That is such an inspiration. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love your tablescape. Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers and I love your dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi! They are one of my favorites flowers too :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading each one so much and will try to get back to each one of you. Have an amazing day!